Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Being Generous

I had two good experiences being generous this week. I just want to share them because it's part of my Christmas intentions and values--not to taut my goodwill. Plus I know the Spirit was speaking to me.
On Sunday, Elder Flores spoke about his approaching return to his home in El Salvador. He being the only member in his family, has had little support during his mission. Actually he worked to pay for his whole mission himself while living in an impoverished country. Once he decided to use that money to serve a mission, his mother turned her back on him and disowned him. In his talk, he spoke about his Christmas and Mother's day phone calls home and how his mother wouldn't speak to him, but over time he has felt her heart softening. So he's headed home to what? Poverty and a vengeful family. I just felt so sad and scared for him. My mission was hard but look what I came home to--loving family, everything provided for me (yes I did live on a 10 pound bag of potatoes for weeks while in college poverty but...!)
What could I even do for this boy? Elder Flores had come to our home many times while he taught our neighbor some missionary lessons so we really liked him. The only thought was to give him my best wishes and some money. I would have made big fat check to him right there but we didn't bring our check book to church. I had Ryan check his wallet and scraped up $11. I insisted that Ryan go give it to him. Ryan was a little hesitant because it was only $11 but what else could we do? So we wished him well and I felt good that we did what we could. Best wishes Elder Flores.

Second story happened today while I was driving the kids to get grandma a birthday present. There was a man at the intersection with his cardboard sign "Hungry every bit helps" I looked a him-wondered if he was really hungry or if he had made $500 bucks just standing there for an hour. I didn't really have any intention of passing him anything out my window (being a mom with kids I prefer to drive with my doors locked). I wished I had food to pass him, but what would a can of corn be without a can opener? Then Riley said "Hey look Mom, a neighbor" And I teared up as I realized that Christ asked me to love my "neighbor" as myself and that this was indeed a neighbor just as Riley had said. So I rolled down my window and handed him money and he replied "God's blessing on you" and I know it will be as long as I keep Christ in my heart.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Thank you for your post! Christmas is really sneaking up on me and it's nice to start things off centered on what's most important!

Welcome to the Nest!

Thanks for visiting our family's blog site. There is a lot of love in our little nest and we are glad to share our happenings with our beloved friends and family.